How is eligibility determined?

Benefits paid to a claimant during a BY are based on wages paid in the base period, which is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters immediately preceding the effective date of the claim.

In order to qualify as an insured worker, a claimant must:
  • Lose his/her job through no fault of the claimant OR quit for a valid reason related to the work or the employer.
  • Make at least $2,250—at least $1,500 during one of the calendar quarters, and at least $750 during the remainder of the year—from an insured employer during the base period (see chart above).
  • AND his/her total base period wages must be at least 1.5 times his/her highest quarter wages.
  • OR he/she must make at least $19,500 during two of the four quarters.

In order to remain eligible to receive UI benefits, a claimant also must be able to work and available for full-time work. In order to be considered available for work, the claimant must be actively and earnestly seeking employment. A claimant may be ineligible if unemployed because of a suspension for misconduct connected with work, a stoppage of work due to a labor dispute or while the claimant is receiving other remuneration, such as vacation pay, Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN), pay, holiday pay, severance/termination pay or employer pension.

If the DES finds the claimant was discharged for misconduct connected with work, the disqualification can only be terminated if the claimant earns six times his/her WBA in insured work after the date of discharge. If a claimant is disqualified on a subsequent discharge, the claimant shall be required to earn wages in an amount equal to or in excess of six times the claimant′s WBA for each disqualification.

If the claimant voluntarily left employment without good cause attributable to the employer or to the work, he/she may be disqualified until other employment is secured and at least 10 times the WBA in insured work is earned. This same disqualification may apply if the claimant refused to apply for or accept suitable employment offered through the DES, designated staff of a state or state-controlled public employment office, or a former employer.

Unemployment - Employers

  1. I no longer have employees. How do I close my unemployment tax account?
  2. What is a benefit claim?
  3. What is a Mass Claim?
  4. What is the Shared Work Program?
  5. How is eligibility determined?
  6. How much can claimants receive?
  7. When and for how long can benefits be claimed?
  8. Will the employer be notified when a claim is filed?
  9. How can the employer protest the claim?
  10. What happens after an employer files a protest?
  11. Can an employer appeal a deputy’s determination?
  12. What penalties can be assessed against employers?
  13. How can I request a work search waiver (recall date) for my employees who will be laid off on a temporary basis?
  14. What is the taxable wage base?
  15. How do I figure excess wages?
  16. Do I use the wages paid by the previous owner of my business when figuring excess wages?
  17. How should I report a probationary worker?
  18. Do I have to report family members?
  19. Is a cafeteria plan reportable and taxable?
  20. I didn′t pay wages this quarter. Do I have to file a Quarterly CW Report anyway?
  21. How do I adjust wages that I reported previously?
  22. How do I report workers who work in more than one state?
  23. Do I have to pay Missouri unemployment tax?
  24. How do I get set up to pay state unemployment tax?
  25. What will my tax rate be?
  26. Now that I have employees, what other agencies should I contact?
  27. Where can I get a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)?
  28. What are the requirements for federal unemployment tax?
  29. Is Missouri a "credit reduction state"?
  30. How can I reduce my tax rate?
  31. Am I required to file the Missouri Quarterly Contribution and Wage Report electronically?
  32. How, when, and where to submit or mail my Quarterly CW Reports, payments, and magnetic media?

Feedback and Knowledge Base