Skip to content

Wages: If an employee is terminated when are his or her final wages due?

Wages are due at the time of termination. If not paid at that time, the employee should contact his or her former employer by certified mail return receipt requested, requesting wages that are due. The employer has seven days to respond to the written request. If the employer does not respond in seven days, because the state of Missouri does not have authority to collect wages for any individual, any moneys due would have to be collected by private legal action. If the amount due in back wages is less than $5,000, workers may file their claim in small claims court, where costs are less. Individuals attempting to recover amounts above $5,000 should pursue a private right of action in circuit court. (See Chapter 290.110, RSMo)

Feedback and Knowledge Base