Skip to content

Legal: What does an employee need to do to request a "Letter of Dismissal"?

If you worked for a corporation for more than 90 days and it had seven or more employees, you would be entitled, under § 290.140, RSMo, to a Letter of Dismissal setting out the type of work you performed, how long you worked for the corporation, and truly stating the reason you were discharged. In order to obtain the Letter of Dismissal, you must send a written request for it by certified mail to the superintendent, manager, or registered agent of the corporation, with specific reference to § 290.140. The superintendent or manager of the corporation must then issue a Letter of Dismissal to you within forty-five days after the receipt of the request. If the corporation does not comply with this statue, you may file a private suit in court for damages.

Feedback and Knowledge Base